Monday, January 14, 2013

My First Quilt

I did it! I made a quilt! I am so very proud of myself. You have no idea! I found this really awesome tutorial that helped me through the whole process.

Nate's little sister is pregnant. She's due on my birthday, February 20th. We are really excited to welcome this little guy in to the family. I wanted to make her something really special so for some reason (I blame Pinterest) I decided on a quilt. I have had most of the fabric for a while, but I had to special order the giraffe fabric and then I was waiting on Christmas to see if I got a rotary cutter, and I did. So off to cutting quilt squares I went. These are 5" inch squares (actually 5 1/2 for seam allowance).

Here is a basic (unfinished) quilt. I think it is absolutely adorable! I love the colors and am pretty proud of myself for getting the colors together so well. I was so excited through this whole process.

First, I cut out all the pieces and laid them out how I wanted them. That is the point where I got really excited because I thought it was going to be so pretty. I think that was my motivation to just go with it.
I sewed all the strips together, again following that tutorial on how to iron the seams and pieces to make them fit right.





I even had an adorable helper to keep it from hitting the ground. Actually, he just wanted to help so this seemed like a good way he could help and me not get all perfectionist, freak out mom on him.

So, here is the top before the actual "quilting."
I machine quilted it, just with big "X"s. I tried to do it by hand, but I got overwhelmed when I had no idea what I was doing, so I just used my machine. I used invisible thread because I couldn't decide on a color that would be OK to cover the cute little giraffes with. I had a moment where the back got a little gathered and I almost freaked out. Fortunately, Nate was there and I was able to talk myself off the "I can't do this" ledge.
I found another way to do a super easy binding. I tried to keep it simple since it was my first quilt. I actually just used the backing, because I wanted a brown edge. I don't know if that's the right thing to do or not, but it worked. I measured about an 1 1/2" out from the edge and then folded it over twice. Then I used the invisible thread around the edge.

Here was the final! I finished it Friday. It did not take nearly as long as I thought it would! She already has her cute bedding but I thought she could use my quilt for tummy time or something else.
I'm so proud of this and totally feel like I can do it again. In fact, now I want to make a quilt for Brixton's bed (I want to re-do his whole room, but that's another post).

I had lots of spare fabric, so I whipped up a couple of cute, matching burp cloths. Her nursery is blue and brown with giraffes (in case you can't tell).

Of course my bobin ran our of thread when I was this close to being done!
Sunday she had her first shower. I had decided if I finished in time I would give it to her at the shower. I had told her a long time ago I wanted to make her something, and she had helped me pick out the giraffe fabric, but the rest was all a surprise.
And she loved the burp rags, too.
And here we are together. The picture is a little blurry, but you can see how big it actually is.
Here's another link to that awesome tutorial. If you have ever wanted to make a quilt I highly recommend this. It has every detail you are going to need and is so easily laid out.

7 comments:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

OK, that is the cutest thing ever! Of course those colors are one of my favorite combos. That giraffe fabric is really cute too! CONGRATULATIONS!

amy smart said...

Way to go! What a sweet gift and it turned out great! I love it. And I'm so glad your friend loved it too. Thanks so much for the shout out!

Tessa said...

That is SO cute! You did a great job! Great colors, layout, fabrics, everything. I'm so impressed!

Erin said...

I love it!! Great job Chellie. You never cease to amaze me with you craftiness. Maybe you should open up an Etsy shop? ;)

Amy in Edmond said...

Welcome to the quilting world. I use invisible thread almost all the time for quilting.

Unknown said...

I saw your comment on "Diary of a Quilter", and clicked onto your site to see the quilt.

After reading your story on your website, (or is it a Blog, I'm a bit older and don't know these things), I realized I'm not the only "first quilter" that didn't know what she was doing from the start.
I did the same thing with the backing ... Your corners came out quite good, (I did mine by hand and stitched them down really tight ... not sure why though?). The corners made me very nervous.

You're quilt turned out ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFULLY! I know your nephew will be very warm for years to come, and your helper is ADORABLE!

Good luck in your future quilting!

Magleedia from New England said...

So beautiful and creative! Loved the pretty blue zig zag stitch on the edges of the baby cloths. Blue and brown are gorgeous together. Ya know, your little helper did a great job, too. It's so difficult reining in all that fabric! You gave such a loving gift!