Friday, October 3, 2014

An Awkward Conversation With B

This is too long for Facebook so I'll post it here...
We went to the new West Elm today to look around. Brixton starts talking to a sales lady and this unfolds...
SL: Do you have brothers or sisters?
B: No. My momma's baby died.
(He is playing with a chair oblivious to her shock)
SL: (She looks at us and whispers)I'm sorry
Me: (whispering) It's OK. It was a while ago.

Conversation continues with her asking random questions about our dogs.
B: Well, Brownie is about to die.
(She again is shocked and I think a little embarrassed)
We jump in: Brownie's not about to die. She's just getting old. 

The lady again apologized. And we explained the dog was old. She then apologized about our baby and moved on to talking about Halloween.

As weird as it may sound Nate and I were actually laughing about this whole thing. I know she meant no harm and it was just so awkward we had to laugh. 
She apologized a bunch. No hard feelings.
I don't stop these conversations. I'm told kids process things in their own time and I think that's what he's doing every time we have this awkward encounter with someone (it was with "Princess Anna" at a birthday party once and a lady at CR another time, others I don't recall). At first it would make me cry, now I can just shrug it off. I see that as healing. I do feel a little bad for the other person. I feel like it puts them in an awkward spot but that's OK. I bet that lady doesn't ask many kids about their siblings after this.

Last thing, if you read this post and laugh it is OK. 

1 comment:

Wa Wa Waughs said...

Yes, sometimes they pick the oddest times to say things like that! You are good to let him.