Brixton is one of those kids who doesn't handle change well. He doesn't like to go to class, but once it's time to go he doesn't want to leave. He's just content being where he is. We have found that prepping him for change works best. We talk to him about things for days before they happen and then he seems to be OK.
Well, turns out he gets that from me. It's not something I've every really grasped about myself until now. I've been dealing with a lot of change lately and I'm really not dealing very well.
First, my schedule. I was SUPER excited to change to days. I had waited months and thought I had prepared myself. And then it came. And then I was super bored OUT.OF.MY.MIND! Tuesday was the worst. I had 4 hours with basically nothing to do.
Second, my eating habits. I'm working to make healthy diet changes in hopes that it will help me feel better and just increase the healing for my current health issues. By working I haven't done much. I have an appointment this week with a nutritionist to begin a three month process of becoming more educated on everything food and hopefully being able to have better options around me all the time. This is not something I'm really excited about. I like food, specifically I like junk food. Why? I don't really know. It's just always been there and I don't feel comfortable changing that. While I know that making better choices is necessary I am struggling to grasp the reality of this. I know it's what I need to do and part of me believes it is totally manageable. Also, I like to bake. There is a part of me that believes by making healthy changes I will no longer be able to have the cupcakes and cookies I love to make. I'm trying to cut out a lot of processed foods. That's hard because processed foods are so easy and quick. I don't have a lot of time and therefore it is easy to fall back on these processed items. In this case the change is hard because I just don't see how I can get a healthier diet that is as fast as the way things are now. Again, change is hard, for me.
Another change that I'm not dealing well with is this forced choice to put off having another baby and possibly giving up that as an option. Went to the doctor this morning and he made me talk about it and I almost broke down in tears. I don't know why I just can't deal with this. I think it just goes along with the overall health changes and this pushes me over the top. Give me a little more time to grasp this one.
So looks like Brixton gets his fear of change from me. I told Nate yesterday it seems that even just moving a year ago was a big deal for me. I was comfortable in our old house and until recently felt slightly uncomfortable at our new house. I knew where things were there. I still question where things are at our new house.
I guess I need to prep myself a little better for change.
Do you deal well with change? What do you do to help yourself make those transitions?
1 comment:
I wanted to respond a couple days ago but didn't really have any good words to say...then I ran across this in my morning devotion:
From Jesus Calling, August 14:
The world you inhabit is a place of constant changes-more than your mind can absorb without going into shock. Even the body you inhabit is changing relentlessly in spite of modern science's attempts to prolong youth and life. I however, am the same yesterday and today and forever (Heb. 13:8)
I used to HATE change but accept it a little better now. It takes a long time so just know that you'll get better with experience! I think maybe if you can hang onto a few ritual type things that you always do it might help. For instance, many years now I get up earlier than the rest of the family and read and drink tea. It gives me comfort!
Post a Comment